ESL/FSL Regional Lead/ ESL/FSL Instructor for Settlement Portfolio
We're sorry, this position has expired. We're sure there are other opportunities for you to volunteer your time!
About the Program
Settlement Portfolio Objective and Role Overview
Settlement Portfolio’s mandate is to settle and support newly arrived Ismaili Jamat in their integration as Canadian Ismaili Muslims and to become strong contributors to their communities, the Jamat, Institutions, Canada, and their countries of origin.
The Settlement Portfolio aims to achieve 100% English and/or French Language proficiency for all newcomers of the Ismaili community in preparation for Canadian citizenship eligibility. Thus, the ESL/FSL Lead or Instructor’s role is crucial in supporting and advancing settlement portfolio’s work and mandate by focusing on this objective.
The lead would assist in developing and driving a regional literacy strategy which would provide language programming support for the Jamat. They would also facilitate training for volunteer instructors to deliver ESL/FSL support and curriculum in each of the respective regions.
About the Role
- Design national framework and regional strategies for the Settlement portfolio’s goal of 100% English and/or French language proficiency for newcomers.
- Identify barriers to accessing for the newly arrived members and suggest methods and strategies to overcome it.
- Drive language programming support across all regions to support citizenship requirements, gain meaningful employment and be eligible for post-secondary programming.
- Expand the language programming across all regions
- Teaching and tutoring individuals to augment government language classes.
- Create repository of internal and external resources and determine referral processes
- Contribute to the design and delivery of national digital programming for the language proficiency project
- Apply project management best practices and ensure successful delivery of Settlement portfolio’s literacy strategy
- Evaluate strategy execution and improve accordingly
- Attend various weekly meetings/conference calls as needed
· ESL/TESOL/TEFL/FSL Certification
· Strong leadership, inter-personal, organizational and project management skills
· Teaching experience preferred
· Experience with workings of institutions preferred
· Strong written and verbal communication skills
· Collaborative spirit and demonstrates high-level of commitment
· Cultural sensitivity
· Fluency in Gujarati/Urdu/Farsi (Asset but not necessary)
Ideal candidate: Currently an ESL/FSL-Certified Teacher and preferably living in Quebec.