Education Team Facilitator for Diversity & Inclusion
About the Program
The National Diversity & Inclusion Portfolio falls within the Ismaili Council for Canada. This new portfolio was created in July 2019 and is led by a member of the Council for Canada. The portfolio is comprised of national members and regional members, the latter of whom sit on the Ismaili Councils in the 6 regions.
The Diversity & Inclusion Portfolio seeks to:
- Mobilize, support and advise the Ismaili institutions on diversity, inclusion and equity and to promote inclusive and equitable community-wide practices that both reflect the diversities in the Jamat and uphold principles of pluralism.
- Strengthen, nurture and promote the Jamat’s meaningful engagement with the ethics of pluralism to foster greater equity and inclusion and to enhance the quality of life of the Jamat.
The Diversity & Inclusion National Education Team has been delivering education sessions since June 2020 to leadership and Jamati facing volunteers and has provided the opportunity for new learnings and discussion through interactive Zoom-based sessions.
The team is growing and evolving, as the demand for these sessions is increasing. The team is seeking interested, motivated volunteers to support the team as Facilitators. Ideally, Facilitators will have expertise in communication, leadership, active listening skills, group dynamics and awareness of techniques to engage and create an inclusive learning environment.
The Facilitator role includes:
- facilitating education sessions
- developing & refining content for education sessions
- contributing expertise as appropriate
- attending weekly education team meetings
- liaising with the facilitators, moderators and project manager
Facilitator commitment will vary. Facilitators can expect to:
- observe 1-2 education sessions delivered virtually (to support understanding and learning)
- facilitate to 2-3 education sessions a month
- attend weekly education team meetings
The Facilitators will be key players in ensuring that the team is able to meet its objectives. This will include supporting communication, content development and evaluation. The Facilitators will be experts in creating and maintaining a learning environment where all participants are treated with respect.
About the Role
Facilitators will ensure a safe and comfortable environment for participants to engage and contribute their perspective. They will be able to support participants with empathy, compassion and support as needed.
- Works with Diversity & Inclusion Education Team to develop and refine education sessions for leadership and Jamati facing volunteers
- Key member responsible for supporting effective communication and positive group dynamics in education sessions
- Supports quality assurance and continuous quality improvement
- Facilitating and evaluating education sessions for leadership and volunteers
- In liaison with other facilitators, developing additional content for education sessions and supporting the work of the team
- Provides ongoing support to team members, as required, in order to meet team objectives
- Comfort and expertise in delivering sessions on Zoom, Microsoft teams or other virtual platform
- Experience facilitating dynamic sessions with small to larger groups
- Knowledge of facilitation techniques and activities that enliven training sessions and engage participants
- Comfort with being able to explain and articulate various concepts related to Diversity and Inclusion
- Able to gauge and read audience for cues that support a comfortable training environment
- Ability to show empathy and vulnerability to compassionately connect with participants
- Institutional experience would be preferred but not mandatory
- Ability to deliver training in multiple languages (i.e. French, Farsi etc.)